Dr Terry Wahls was diagnosed with second stage progressive MS and rapidly declined until she began researching food as healer.
Dr Wahls had the best medical care, played the protocol perfectly and landed in a motorized wheel chair.
When she was sickest, it wasn’t the medical community that rescued her, it was the internet, her research skills, and food she describes as paleolithic.
She learned that federal agencies sponsored and paid for with our tax dollar write guidelines with a built in conflict of interest – millions of dollars are spent persuading us to eat the wrong foods (marketing the products of subsidized corporate food growers – think “congressional ear marks”) at the expense of our health.
Three basic principles:
- Bring the good stuff in. Give your body the fuel and tools it needs to work at an optimum level. Good food loaded with essential nutrients; vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Make sure you aren’t deficient in any of the major nutrients as the nutrients all work together.
- Remove the bad stuff. Make sure your body can detoxify all the toxic substances and toxic by-products of bodily processes properly. Stop as many toxins from getting in – in the first place, and do things which aid detoxification to get rid of the ones you have.
- Reduce your body’s total load. The total load concept is that lessening the body’s overall burden and stress level in one area, will improve health generally and improve the body’s ability to heal because the body’s total load (or burden) is lessened. Fixing one problem frees up bodily resources that can then be used to help other parts of the body function getter or to heal. In other words, you need to look at the body as a whole in order to heal, and not just the one part of the body that is generating the most symptoms.
Overview of Dr Wahls food plan:
- Eating 9 cups of green leaf vegetables and berries each day (3 cups each of greens, sulfur containing veggies, and colorful fruit) is essential. Choose organic and/or grow your own if you can.
- It is okay to juice a portion of the 9 cups.
- Eating good quality grass-fed/free-range/organic meats daily is essential.
- Cook with natural fats such as coconut oil, lard and clarified butter/ghee.
- Eating organ meats such as liver is recommended at least once a week. Liver is very important for B vitamins. Cooked medium rare is best.
- Bone broths are recommended daily. They are full of minerals and help heal the gut.
- Eating seaweed once a week or more is recommended.
- Eating nuts/seeds or nutritional yeast is recommended daily, including coconut milk.
- Eating sprouts is recommended, such as broccoli sprouts.
- Eating fermented foods such as unpasteurized sauerkraut is recommended.
- Eggs are recommended, although people with autoimmune diseases should not have egg whites due to a problematic protein in the egg white. (They should be eliminated at first and added back after a few weeks, and only eaten if there is no reaction to them. Same with nightshades)
- Eating small amounts of honey or cocoa is okay, and so is eating natural flavorings in food such as spices and ginger.
- Getting enough Omega 3 fatty acids (seafood) and not too many Omega 6s is important; Omega 6 containing oils should be minimized. Fish oil capsules, hemp oil, flax oil included. The best ratio is 3:1
3 Years on Dr. Wahls Food Plan
Dr Wahls Daily Protocol:
Vitamin D should be over 50 ng/ml and under 100 ng/ml. (Take a test every 1- 3 months and take 4000 IU vitamin D3 daily, or more if needed. 150 ng/ml is toxic.).
Having daily quiet time is important, to calm our adrenals. Meditation, self massage, nature and family time is important.
Epson salt baths, melatonin and herbal teas can help sleep.
Minimize toxin exposure and quit smoking.
B complex supplements or sulphur amino acids may be helpful (under a doctor’s direction).
Heavy metal testing and treatments such as clay baths and facial clay masks and saunas may be helpful.
A good quality water filter is essential.
Supplements can in some cases be helpful, but they can never replace a nutrient dense healthy diet. A proper diet must always come first. Foods contain many beneficial co-factors and compounds not included in supplements and many that we have not yet discovered or named.
Getting evaluated for potential food allergies, toxic load issues and more personalized nutritional needs by a practitioner of functional medicine is a very good idea. The Institute for Functional Medicine can help you find a provider in your area.
Drugs are not the answer. Let good wholesome food be thy medicine.
Minding Your Mitochrondia
Taking care of your mitochrondia now saves you from dementia and physical shrinkage later. . .
Timely Quote from Dr. Wahls:
“Epigenetics (Tune Into Your Own DNA)is how your environment talks to your genes. Our cells are capable of reading the state of our environment and activating or deactivating genes. This means that, based on the choices we make, we can turn on genes for health or turn off those health-promoting genes. In other words, it is your health behaviors such as diet and activities, that determine whether the health-promoting or the health-robbing genes are active. For some conditions, such as cystic fibrosis or hemophilia, our genes are an important factor, often the cause of the disease. But for the obesity, heart disease, mental health and autoimmune epidemics that are driving up the cost of health care in the U.S. and around the world, there are no single genes that are the culprit. Instead, for each of these problems, multiple genes are involved, and they interact in a complex way with the environment.”
Minding My Mitochondria 2nd Edition: How I overcame secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (MS) and got out of my wheelchair. Terry L. Wahls
Recommended Web Sites:
Thank you for your interest in the article Dr. Terry Wahls Demonstrates How Food Heals
The scalar healing sessions are done remotely using your photograph to connect with you. There are 3 options for scalar sessions:
- You as an individual
- You and one other as a Couple
- You and a group of 3, 5, 7, 15
You can click here or on the banner below to get started. After payment, you will receive an email requesting your photograph. Submit your photograph and Tom Paladino will begin the sessions. You will receive scalar sessions 7 days each week over 30 days. These sessions consist of a Pathogen Cleanse, a Nutritional Therapy and a Chakra Balance. Please refer to the FAQ page to see more details.